Planning Permission FAQs

The questions below are the ones that are most frequently asked by people applying for planningpermission for the first time. If you are still unsure after reading the detailed advice please call uson 07709655886 or call your Local Planning Department who will be happy to answer anyqueries you may have.

Q. Do I Need Planning Permission?

A. Most development - building, land engineering or mining operations and changes of use -requires planning permission. Some but not all minor development – including home extensions –are known as "Permitted Development" and do not need a formal application are but are subject tocertain restrictions. Always check first with the Local Planning Department. It helps to use aPermitted Development form. You will then get confirmation in writing. The demolition ofdwellings, some small agricultural buildings and some special telecommunications developmentdo not need permission but require notification. Forms are available from your Local PlanningDepartment.

Q. How long does planning permission last?

A. Full Planning Permission normally lasts three years. Outline Planning Permission onlyapproves the principle of the development . The remaining details – known as "Reserved Matters"have to be approved before you can start any development. It normally expires after three yearsfrom the date of approval or two years after approval of reserved matters. Reserved matters mustbe submitted within three years.Please note that the above does not apply to any application submitted after August 24th 2005.Full Planning Permission from this date forth is valid for three years. Outline Planning Permissionis valid for two years. For further information please contact your Local Planning Department.

Q. Who can make a Planning Application?

A. Anyone can make a planning application. You do not have to own any or all the property whereyou are making the application, but you must have notified the owners that you are making it.Forms are available from your Local Planning Department

Q. Can I obtain advice before I submit my application?

A. Yes, your Local Planning Department offer a pre-application advice service. In order to obtainpre-application advice they will require a detailed descrpition of your proposal in writing. Anyappropriate drawings, photographs or supporting information should also be submitted. Please beaware that this process may take some time and is not legally binding.

Q. When applying for planning permission do I have to fill in a complicated form?

A. If your application is for an extension or a small development in the garden of your house, thenyou can use a special simplified application form. It comes complete with guidance notes, whichexplain how to complete it. Copies of the form to do this are available from the Local PlanningOffice.

Q. How is my application dealt with?

A. Your application will go through five stages:–Checks to make sure the correct information – location plan and drawings

Booking In - and fee - has been received. You will get a receipt and a letter telling you name of the officer dealing with your application.

Publicity and Consultation –Your application will appear on the weekly list published

in Libraries and on the Council website, a notice may be posted near the site and neighbours

may be sent a letter seeking their views. They have 21 days to respond. Specialist comments

may be obtained on highways and environmental matters – these can be vital considerations.

Negotiations and Amendments -All application sites are visited and then negotiations

may take place with you or your agent to overcome any problems with your application.

Making the Decision – Senior officers make most decisions but some are made by

Councillors at Planning Committee meetings usuall on a monthly basis. If your application

goes to Committee you may inspect the report on it approximately five days before the

meeting. You and any supporters or objectors may attend the meeting and make a short

address. The Panel may decide to visit site or ask officers to negotiate further before a final

decision is made.

The Decision –The Local Authority aim to send out your Decision Notice as quickly as

possible after the decision is made. It will set out the reasons for approval or refusal of the

application and, if permission has been granted, any conditions with which you have to


Q. Can I make changes to my planning permission after it has been granted?

A. Minor modifications can be made but must only be small and must not change your permission

in any significant way. You should complete the Minor Modifications Form available from the

Local Planning Department and submit it with the revised drawings (with the changes

highlighted). Please be aware it can take a number of weeks to make a decision on Minor

Modifications. If you wish to make more significant changes or to amend or remove a condition,

you will have to make a further planning application.

Q. Can I influence the decision on a planning application that affects me?

A. Once the application is publicised, 21 days are given for anyone to comment on an application.

Comments must be in writing – either by post or via our public access facility – and are open to

public inspection. All comments, including formal objections, relating to relevant planning matters

are taken into account.

Q. Will I need any other permission?

A. In addition to planning approval you may need other permissions such as building regulations

approval. Contact your Local Building Control Department for more information on this subject.

You may also have to gain other consents, for example a variation to the deeds of your property.

You are advised to check any such requirements before you start work.